Lower School Newsletter from Wade Putnal
January 26, 2017
Open House for Prospective Families: Please invite your friends and family to tour our school on Sunday, January 29th, 3-5 pm, beginning in the Clark Fine Arts lobby. Prospective students (Rising 3K to 12th grade) and families are invited! If you know someone we should contact, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spotlight on the Gardens: The Garden-to-Table program has been very active picking vegetables even though the weather has been cold at times. In the last two weeks, 3rd grade and 5th grade classes have picked cool weather crops such as broccoli, chard, kale, parsley and chives to present to the cafeteria. We look forward to harvesting our Brussels sprouts and carrots later in February too.
‘Tis the Season …. for colds, viruses, flu, and lice – Oh My! Parent help is the best defense against these. Please wait 24 hours after fever has subsided before sending your child to school. Please encourage good hand washing procedures as well. Hopefully being proactive and checking at home for lice will resolve this. For more info on looking for or treating lice, see link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlj2FrOqeHE
We are excited to welcome author and illustrator Henry Cole who will visit us Thursday, Feb. 2nd as part of our Mixon-Fincher Young Author and Illustrator Week.
Mixon-Fincher Young Author/Illustrator Celebration for 1st-5th grades will take place in your child’s classroom on Friday, February 3rd – 8:15 to 9am. Parents are invited to visit as students celebrate being young authors and illustrators.
What a gift! THANK YOU for all the supplies you collected during Spirit Week for Campus Clubs!
FPD Center for Discovery spring classes are underway, but you can still find a great class to enjoy. Pick up a program and registration form in the office or online at: www.fpdmacon.org/center-for-discovery
It’s time to purchase your 2016-2017 yearbook! Our FPD yearbook staff has worked diligently on this collection of events from the year. Personalized orders due Feb. 3; Non-personalized orders due April 6. Visit: www.yearbookordercenter.comto order by school name.
EMPTY BOWLS EVENT: On Friday, February 3, during the girls’ and boys’ basketball games, our Fine Arts department is hosting an event to raise awareness of hunger and homelessness in Macon. Beautiful ceramic bowls, spoons, vases, platters, etc., are currently being created by FPD 5th-12th grade art students, and will be available for sale at the event. Everyone is invited to the FPD cafeteria during the ballgames where you may purchase homemade soup or chili, as well as dessert and a drink. All money raised will be donated to local agencies fighting hunger and homelessness. For info, contact Nancy Butler or Holly Scott.
Please label all jackets, coats, sweaters, hats, mittens, lunchboxes, etc. If you are missing something, please check Elementary “Lost & Found.”
Backpack Ministry: Immediate needs are fruit cups, vienna sausages, and Capri Sun juice packs.
All long-sleeve t-shirts are 20% off at THE VIKING STORE! “Viking Bucks” spending cards make great gifts for Valentine’s Day or any occasion. Remember we have everything a Viking needs for cold weather: headwear, scarves, long-sleeve spirit shirts, sweatshirts and jackets (all uniform-approved) as well as Land’s End plush blankets. We carry Land’s End uniform shirts and girls’ sweaters also. Open school days 7:45am - 3:30pm and located in the MAC building near the cafeteria.
*** COMING UP ***
· FPD Middle School Theatre presents “Baker Street Irregulars,” Thursday -Friday, Jan. 26-27, 7 pm. The story of the street urchins who helped Sherlock Holmes solve mysteries will be brought to life by more than 20 middle school performers. Admission is free for students. Tickets for the general public are $5.00 and can be purchased at the door or online at: https://fpd.booktix.com/
· FPD seniors Maggie Renfroe and Kirsten Beach will perform Sat., Jan. 28th at a benefit concert for Fuller Center for Housing in Macon. Tickets $10. Info: www.libraryballroom.com
· Re-enrollment Due – Wednesday, February 1st
· Mixon-Fincher Celebration in classrooms, Friday, Feb. 3rd – 8:15 to 9 am.
· Lower School Chapel is Tuesday, February 28th, with 3rd grade leading, from 12:00-12:25pm. Parents are always welcome to join us for worship in the Clark Fine Arts Center.
· Dress Down Day for Daybreak Center for the homeless - Friday, Feb. 10th
· Winter Band Concert – Thursday, Feb. 16th; 7:00 pm
· President’s Day Holiday – No School – Monday & Tuesday, February 20th and 21st